Latest News

Thin Lizzy (new formation)

New Band! New Album! Touring Plans!

33 Comments

In October 2012 Thin Lizzy announced that they would not be recording new material under the Thin Lizzy monicker. The last incarnation of the band – Scott Gorham, Brian Downey, Darren Wharton, Ricky Warwick, Damon Johnson and Marco Mendoza – would be looking to form a new project.

Step forward Black Star Riders…

Today sees the announcement of the new band formed by Thin Lizzy alumni Ricky Warwick (vocals), Scott Gorham (guitar), Damon Johnson (guitar), Marco Mendoza (bass) with new addition Jimmy DeGrasso on drums (Alice Cooper, Megadeth, David Lee Roth, Suicidal Tendencies). The change in personnel came about as Brian Downey didn’t want to commit to the touring cycle a new album would entail and Darren Wharton wanted to concentrate on Dare and other music and film projects.

Black Star Riders is set to enter the studio in Los Angeles in January 2013 to start recording their debut album with the legendary Kevin Shirley (Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith, Rush). The album will feature material the band wrote whilst touring as Thin Lizzy and the sound retains that classic feel but is very much its own as well. The Black Star Riders record is the next step in the evolution of the Thin Lizzy story.

“We are all very excited about the music that we have created for Black Star Riders.  The synergy between the five of us has been phenomenal and I can’t wait for the world to hear these songs.” Ricky Warwick
The new, as yet untitled, album will be released in May 2013 through Nuclear Blast – the label behind acts such as Anthrax, Nightwish and Meshuggah. Black Star Riders are one of the first bands signed by Monte Conner – the former Roadrunner A&R guru who has signed acts such as Slipknot, Machine Head, Sepultura and Rush. Conner recently joined Nuclear Blast as the president of Nuclear Blast Entertainment, a new U.S. partnership he co-founded with Nuclear Blast owner Markus Staiger.
Says Conner: “As a lifelong Thin Lizzy fan, I was floored by this line-up’s new material. Not only do the new songs sound like Thin Lizzy but they sound like CLASSIC Thin Lizzy. Black Star Riders totally captures the essence of what was great about the original band while at the same time adding something totally fresh and modern. Even when I heard the band decided to change their name, my interest in signing them did not waver for one second.”
The band are looking to support their May album release with European festivals shows in the summer of 2013 and follow this up with worldwide touring. The set list will consist of material from the new album and classic Thin Lizzy material.

Classic Rock Magazine has an EXCLUSIVE interview with Black Star Riders in their edition that hits the streets on January 3rd 2013.

Black Star Riders facebook page is www.facebook.com/blackstarridersofficial

33 comments

1. Mel - December 25, 2012 8:28 am

Awesome news

2. Ismael - December 27, 2012 5:29 am

Interesting name for the band.
    How did it come about?
    Looking forward to hearing the new material.

• Kawae - February 27, 2013 11:31 pm

I follow up on a few phogoblots of female American photographers, and youre one of them. I find myself saying woooow every so often, when I see new blogposts. You never let me down as a rolemodel within photography. I myself is merely a happy amateur , although in the very early start of actually getting jobs as a photographer. I would LOVE to photograph babies like you do. The images are so adorable! I wish I knew a photographer like you, when I had my three kids. Hopefully maybe I will be able to assist other parents in that specific dream. My sister had her second child last July, and have her own little company online making crochet beanies for babies and toddler. I was just given a whole bunch of these to use in photography. Now I just need to find the models Take care. Hope youre having a terrific Summer on the other side of the Planet. Me? I live in Norway.

3. Siri - December 27, 2012 5:31 am

As an old Thin Lizzy fan I’m really looking forward to hearing the result of the new album.

Siri from Norway.

4. Keith - January 4, 2013 8:48 pm

As a life long Lizzy fan I was delighted to hear that the lads would be changing the name of the band to release the new material.

Having met the band after their Dublin gig on the 13th December 2012 and chatted with all the guys I was well impressed by the enthusiasm they showed for playing as Lizzy but also how they were looking forward to releasing the new material as Black Star Riders (they would not tell me the new name at the time :( ) .

Can’t wait to hear the new album guys and I hope you keep your promise and bring the band back to Dublin soon.

Go dtuga Dia suaimhneas da anam. Roisin Dubh.

Keith Holles.

5. The Vagabonds - January 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Best of LUCK guys from Ireland!!!

6. Andre Siegmund - January 21, 2013 11:54 am

it’s the new album will be available as vinyl? as a limited edition? certain colors?

7. Paul timson - January 29, 2013 9:31 pm

Just fab news can’t wait to here the new stuff it’s good to here the boys are back all the best looking forward to the tour and the album !!!!

• Sugiharto - March 2, 2013 3:13 am

I’m GLAD Thin Lizzy is still going today, even without Phil. If they weren’t still pliyang I wouldn’t get to see them Live this November. Sure Phil won’t be there and I will be missing out but I won’t be missing out on THIN LIZZY!!!

8. Stewy - February 6, 2013 5:19 pm

Cant wait lads… should be a cracker,
    big Ricky fan, from almighty and solo days so really cant wait for this, hopefully yiz play Download festival , as i already have my ticket for it , wink wink
    Rock ON

• Denis - February 28, 2013 9:44 am

Absolutely love your work!! I just found your website toruhgh clickinmoms. Wish I lived closer so you could shoot the family on the beach. Maybe we will visit sometime in the near future and schedule a session.Until then, happy shooting!Lynn

9. martin - February 6, 2013 10:14 pm

hope to see the band in dublin eire this year

10. Terry B - February 8, 2013 12:31 am

Yes! Hope the boys come back to town! Philly USA that is! i’ve seen most lizzys shows in the area philly ny nj over the years and loved them since my younger days! ha even let them know bout a show cancellation a few yrs back and they set me up the next show at finigans wake! cant wait for the new band and new stuff!! best wishes for BSR! thats even my emai! terrybsr just a coincidence though … or is it? lol

11. Pontus - February 8, 2013 9:35 am

Nice news, looking forward to see them on Swedenrock festival in june:-)

Regards from Sweden

12. John - February 8, 2013 8:21 pm

I was always a lizzy fan saw them dublin 2012 in december.
    The new album will be good under new name.
    I am going to download festival 2013 it would be great to see new band there.
    I was in a resterant in Dublin 2005 and Scott Gohram was next to me I was too shy
    to say hello he was the reason I listen to rock music today.

13. Pontus Frillesås - February 9, 2013 4:04 pm

Looking forward to see you at Sweden Rock Festival

14. luc - February 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Looking forward to buy the album and see you in Belgium. I already love the logo (it’s my screen saver)! Any merch available yet?

15. Jürgen - February 14, 2013 7:47 pm

I look forwad to your new record….good luck !! See you in Germany !!!

• Andre Siegmund - February 18, 2013 10:34 am

Yeahhh ! see you in germany

• Anthony Rey Jimenez - March 1, 2013 10:35 pm

Wish you guys all the best!
        As a Thin Lizzy fan, I can say that the spirit of Phil is looking after you guys.
        If you ever stop by in Spain, show some love to the people of Ronda haha they need some Black Star Riders in their lives. XD

16. Tony Kenny - February 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Wishing you guys all the Best.Looking forward to the album,and hopefully some Irish gig dates.

17. cheap wholesale jordans online - February 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Excellent weblog here! Also your web site lots up fast! What web host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate link for your host? I desire my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

18. Gary - February 21, 2013 10:23 am

I’ve been enjoying your weblog studio updates. You really are having fun. Cannot wait for this album to be released! Keep on Rockin’!

19. jordan 3 true blue - February 21, 2013 2:44 pm

I loved your article post.Really thank you! Really Cool.

20. Tony Byrne - February 21, 2013 5:08 pm

great logo. looking forward to the new album. hope they will come to Dublin
    for a few shows.

21. Jack Brett - March 1, 2013 3:30 pm

Make sure you come to Manchester this time guys, we were all very disappointed that you missed us out on the final Lizzy tour. We Mancunians always turn out in great numbers and consider our great City to be Phil’s spiritual home and lets not forget his allegiance to Man Utd.

Looking forward to the new album and don’t forget us when planning the tour, we are a rather large City sat halfway between Leeds and Liverpool. We’ll forgive you for missing us once, but not for a second time!

22. Ignatius - March 6, 2013 11:54 am

Can’t wait to have the record in my claws. Anticipated congrats and come to SPAIN soon

23. Elvin Cunha - March 7, 2013 1:42 am

Excellent post. I certainly love this website. Stick with it!

24. Paul Keenan - March 8, 2013 1:21 pm

Just spotted the May 27 release date for ‘All Hell Breaks Loose’. Can’t wait! Visit Dublin.

25. Dean Hitchins - March 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi guys
    Love the title track name, really looking forward to see you all again, good luck with the new material.
    Dean

26. http://www.naturegalapagos.com - March 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks for entertaining us. Really you are different and encourage us to follow them in everything they do

27. Jonathan Halliday - March 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Fab first track….classic lizzy feel not lost (and will never be forgotten). Can’t wait to watch live performances and hear album.

28. Kate - April 15, 2013 11:36 am

I truly love your website.. Great colors & theme.

Did you make this web site yourself? Please reply
    back as I’m wanting to create my own personal site and would love to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Many thanks!